Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

In a very interesting discussion on FB today {that I started, btw - which I am prone to doing lately}, we talked about what it means to be "green". I was pleased with a lot of my friends' responses because being "green" seems to be a very heavily pushed concept right now. It's not uncommon to hear people use the newest buzz word "carbon footprint" either. And while we all agreed that as Catholics we are called to be good stewards for the gifts that God gives us, which includes our beautiful earth, we are not necessarily bad for not buying into the current trend that only certain criteria makes one "green". The biggest topic at hand? The size of ones' family and the mindset that goes along with super spenders vs. frugal families. True, larger families may be exhaling more CO2, lol, but those families are typically the ones stretching a dollar, using, reusing and consuming only what they need, etc. What it boils down to imo {in my opinion}, is that being "green" is not a concept based on family size. Families with one child or 10+ children all have the same obligation to take care of what God has given us.

And so, I give you a couple of photos I took today of a seedling project that Paige brought home from preschool a few weeks ago. These are not the typical lima bean seeds, but pumpkin seeds - and I thought they tied in nicely with the point I wanted to share about reusing. At this point, I'm not sure what to do with our fast-growing pumpkin plant. I'm welcome to your suggestions, though. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

website statistics