Friday, December 24, 2010

Nine years later and I still wow myself!

I'm a total hack when it comes to anything I put my mind to. Today, Paige insisted on retrieving the stockings from the garage and when she found them, she started to unload them. I took each one and started to look at these stockings I made over nine years ago. I had big shoes to fill. My great aunt Josie {for whom our Josie is named, btw} made all us primos handmade stockings. I scrutinized my own childhood stocking and set out, determined to make her proud of my creations.

The detail I put into each of the four stockings is still amazing. Once in a while I wow myself with the amount of energy I put into a project. I still have three more to make for Paige, Drew and Josie and nine years later I have yet to find the energy to do marathon stocking sewing. Days after Thanksgiving until Christmas 2001, I made all four of the stockings. To make three in such a short period of time makes my head and eyes hurt now, lol. For now I think I'll just marvel at my hard work and pray for the strength to make the others before the last of the kids are off at college. ;)

Here is the entry taken from December 2008:


Handmade stockings...four down, two to go

From Thanksgiving to Christmas of 2001 I worked tirelessly to make custom stockings for everyone in our family (at the time). And this was before we made the lovely investment of my sewing machine. I look back and wonder how in the world I managed to 1) not go blind 2) finish in time and 3) not go blind, lol. They've held up seven Christmases now and I love to think about all the hard work that went into creating them. The trouble is, each year I am reminded of how I have two more that I need to make. And I have all the supplies to make them too. I guess it's the thought of all that attention to detail that has me running scared. Paige is on her fourth Christmas and this will be Drew's second. They *do* have stockings, but they are store bought and pale in comparison to my masterpieces {sarcasm}.

Enjoy!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

website statistics